Saturday, March 07, 2015

This week's earworm, and I'm afraid it's Simple Minds

Simple Minds - Up on the Catwalk


I heard this song for the first time in twenty years the other day, and I still knew all the words. 

Simple Minds were one of my favourite bands when I was at college, a lost Tory boy in the concrete wasteland of Bracknell, and fell out with the guy who was my physics lab work partner because he thought they were (and I quote) "fucking trash". Give them a couple of albums and he might have had a point, but the Minds - up until just around Sparkle in the Rain were a magnificent band that went off the boil as the size of their stadium gigs increased.

Now that they're playing smaller venues again, they might have returned to their roots, but I'm not going to take that risk. I'll just be happy to wallow in the past, thank you.

2 comments:

Mr Larrington said...

That they used to be called Johnny & The Self-Abusers tells me all I need to know.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Anonymous said...

Seen them a couple of times in recent years. Worth a go, I reckon :)